Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Nature vs Nurture

This debate has been for years. Dane's big brown eyes and Baby's fair skin are from nature. The waters get a bit murky when it comes to behavior, intelligence, and personality. I've been thinking about this because my second baby was born a kind, gentle, old soul and my first baby was the complete opposite, hard to please, loud, and ready for war. Now that Dane is 2.5 years old, he is still a wild mustang, but AT TIMES is a great listener, optimistic, caring, rational, and very smart. So are these characteristics starting to shine through because of nurture? I'd like to think that all the hard work is paying off. But it wasn't until I had baby #2 that I realized how much I could instantly love someone. Baby will stare endlessly into your eyes for as long as you'll allow. He'll chuckle out loud if talk to him. He absolutely loves being in our arms and part of our family. I can comfortably say he is appreciative of his family and surroundings... and he's only 3 months old. With Dane, I constantly felt like a failure. No matter what I did, he screamed at the top of his lungs in my face as if he were saying, you are getting me/ it all wrong. And maybe I was. With it being my first baby, I'll admit I wasn't emotionally prepared for constant maintenance of caring for another person. Maybe my timing was off with him and it was my poor nurturing vs. his nature? Honestly I don't think so. I'm an overachiever so I tried and tried and tried to get it right. I'm glad Dane came first because I was more prepared for baby #2. I knew my children would be different, but I never comprehended that they could be total opposites. The question is..... will baby #2 become a terror at 2 years old? I just can't see it happening, but only time will tell. I hope I can nurture both my children into loving, caring, HAPPY adults because I love them both so very much. :) I would post more current photos but don't have time to download them right now. We're going to get Dane's haircut in a few.

No comments:

Post a Comment